Tuesday, 12 February 2013
Test Shots
I produced this short intertitle scene as a test to influence the production of my actual intertitles/ opening scene in my final product. These extract was shot using a Canon 550D using a 18-5mm lens and editing in Adobe After effects- everything was done in the space of a few hours. For the dripping of the blood down the wall, I created a 'light box' whilst using the 'fake blood' prop (see prop research for both), where I held a light over the box to create a white background behind the blood and had the camera placed on a tripod, facing towards and shot within a large hole on the front of the box.
I felt that this test had a reasonably good outcome as I captured some of the basic horror conventions I aimed to (as suggested by within my other research), such as the unease of watching it and the fact that the viewer was left guess what was happening and couldn't see what was happening all the time- this was acheived through the often change of the cameras depth of field. The opening shot of the fake blood running down the wall was quite poor and needs a darker colour grade, as the blood isn't dark enough agains't the background, meaning that if the viewer did recognise it was blood then they wouldn't feel the fear conventionally associated with the prop.
A proplem which occured was that I had to shoot this on my own, which meant that filming effieienctly, dirpping the blood and holding a light proved challenging. Another blacklashing problem of this meant that unfortunately I had a significant number of useless shots which were either shakey, out of focus or simply not in the correct framing. Therefore when I film this for my actual film opening, I will the inlist the help of 1-2 other people, so I can get the shot correct and faultless.
Also within this short project, I attempted to emulate the 'old fashioned' overlayying which was prelavent within the Martyrs film opening- to do this I added some screen scratches, a medium vignette and some black bars (though this is a feature within most films- I did this to try and emulate the 16:9 aspect ratio which is used when shooting many films, this naturally leaves these black bars though since my DSLR cannot shoot in 16:9 I had to emulate this manually). I also incorporated some text on the screen to present some of the people involved in the making of the film (as so done 'Dawn of the Dead' and 'Martyrs') as well as this the actual design and proximity of the text was imitated from the 'Martyrs' opening.
When producing the actual intertitles for my final project I will definitely need to use more shots, these extra shots needs to include some faster movement to match the increasing pace in the non-diegetic track. I did feel that the close up shots of the blood + knife prop (third shot) was good as the extreme close up would make the viewer feel uneasy and be able to recognise the 'enclosing' metaphor within the film, also the fact that the shot length get increasingly enclosed which reflects upon the buildup of the intro and music, opening towards the actual film.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Pages
Popular Posts
-
N otable features: This opening from 'Saw 2' featured one scene which included a dramatic build-up eventually leading to a ...
-
Video Preliminary exercise : Continuity task involving filming and editing a character opening a door, crossing a room and sitting down in a...
-
This cover for 'Total Film' of february 2010 promotes the release of the upcoming film (at the specific release time of the magaz...
-
1.In What ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? My product emulates ...
-
For my flat plan I attempted to emulate a number of codes and conventions I recognised when analysing the front cover and contents pa...
-
Match on Action This is prevalent during an action, of which it will start in one shot, and for every individual (significant) actions the ...
-
From my feedback I found that generally, people thought that the blood intertitles my film opening were too long and that I needed more real...
No comments:
Post a Comment